Welcome to the HSC kitchen classroom...

Hi kids and parents!

I'm so excited to have a place to share recipes, pictures, and fun bits of information about our cooking and sewing classes at HSC. I hope you enjoy having the recipes earlier then the end of semester and I would love to hear comments after you've tried any recipes at home. I'll also post pictures of us cooking and sewing as we progress through the school year. I will let this space evolve as I see what else we can post about our time in the HSC kitchen classroom.

I'll see you in the kitchen!

Miss Stacy

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Buttons, Buttons, Buttons


 I have always loved buttons.  There is something so soothing about digging your hands into a jar of buttons and letting them fall between your fingers.  I think the unique colors and styles of each button has always fascinated me as well.  My own kids love to search through my containers, so I had no doubt that my HSC kids would feel the same way.  My feelings were right and we have had a blast searching and sharing our finds with friends in class.  We've talked about the differences between shank buttons and standard buttons.  And we've talked about the amount of holes in a button and how you need to be sure your buttons are securely sewn on to your clothing to help them work properly.  After sorting and discussing all the different aspects of buttons, the kids starting sewing on buttons to create designs on fabric.  Some created their initials with buttons and others stacked shapes of different fabrics to create flowers and patterns.  The pictures posted show some of the fun projects they've done or are still working on.



No comments:

Post a Comment