Welcome to the HSC kitchen classroom...

Hi kids and parents!

I'm so excited to have a place to share recipes, pictures, and fun bits of information about our cooking and sewing classes at HSC. I hope you enjoy having the recipes earlier then the end of semester and I would love to hear comments after you've tried any recipes at home. I'll also post pictures of us cooking and sewing as we progress through the school year. I will let this space evolve as I see what else we can post about our time in the HSC kitchen classroom.

I'll see you in the kitchen!

Miss Stacy

Sunday, November 7, 2010

One word...one syllable...Wok! You Got It!


 Stir Fry!

Okay, so I just checked and there are 2 recipes I haven't posted for you yet, Quick Cherry Cheesecake and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.  So I'll work on those this week.  But I did just write up and send off to Miss Bobbi the Garlic Chicken Stir Fry recipe.  So I figured I post that one today.



The kids were giving me puzzled looks when I play charades with then to figure out what type of pan we were using that day.  Some classes got it, others were a little confused with my game playing in the kitchen.  But it was a fun conversation after they discovered the pan was called a wok.   I assured them that you could make a stir fry in a skillet too and that most of their kitchens probably had something that would work just fine.  We talked about how a stir fry would be in the healthy food category since you use little oil and it cooks up so quick.  I was surprised that there weren't more kiddos that squawked at mushrooms in our stir fry, so don't think you have to always leave out those fun fungi on account of the kids.  I also told them that if they didn't chop or slice them too small they were easy to pick out if needed.  So here's the recipe.  As always I would love to hear your comments if you do make a recipe.  Let me and all the others know how it turned out and what changes you may have done to adjust it to your family's liking.

Garlic Chicken Stir Fry

4 medium chicken breasts
1/2 cup water
1 instant chicken bullion cube
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
6 oz sliced mushrooms
4 green onions thinly sliced
8 oz can water chestnuts, sliced
3 cups hot rice
Cut chicken into small chunks about 1/2 inch in size.  Heat the water in microwave safe container until hot and add bullion cube, set that aside until it’s dissolved.  Combine soy sauce, cornstarch and vinegar in a small bowl.  Once the bullion is dissolved add it to the soy sauce mix. 
Add oil to a wok or a large skillet.  Heat over med/hi heat.  Stir fry the garlic for 15 seconds, then add mushrooms and onions.  Continue stir frying about 1 more minute or until tender.  Remove the veggies from your pan so they do not over cook.  If you need a bit more oil add it into wok or skillet then add your chicken.  Stir fry until there is no more pink color, about 2 -3 minutes.  Push the chicken away from the center of the wok or pan so that the soy sauce mix can be added and stirred to thicken.  Once it feels a little thick you can return the veggies and add in the water chestnuts too.  Stir everything together in your wok or skillet until it’s heated through.  Serve your garlic chicken stir fry over rice. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment